Saturday, October 15, 2011

A New Revival

Proverbs 3:5-6 reads, "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your path straight."

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart" 
What a statement. TRUST... when used as a verb it is stated in the dictionary that trust is to rely upon or place confidence in someone or something. This idea of putting all trust in the Lord is almost immeasurable, like the power of God. He doesn't ask for half of our hearts, or even 99% of it... he asks for it all. He wants our words, our lives, our actions, our eyes, our hearts. Imagine a relationship, you wouldn't want anything less than everything from that person.. you want it ALL, every day, every moment... and sometimes, trust is so much harder than love.

"Lean not on your own understanding"
Understanding, when you thoroughly understand something... it is familiar, it is known. It's like a test in a classroom... In order to have understanding of what is on the exam, you must be familiar with the material. We are God's people, he knows me, he understands me better than I do, and yet I continue to lean on what I feel, what I think. 

 "In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."
Submission: an act of submitting to the authority or control of another. What would it look like if God had control of our hands for a day? What about our mouths and words, our feet, our hearts. How would our lives look different if we allowed God to have control, to have authority or control of our lives... not just our feet or hands, but everything else as well. 

In reading this verse, its familiar and well known to many Christians as are many other verses, yet we just read right past them all the time. It's kind of like life, we become familiar with it, we know it so well and we just let time pass us by. We don't take advantage of small moments, little victories... We wake up in the morning and we are used to a sunrise, we stand outside at night and look at the stars as if they are hardly miraculous... God blesses us with a day, and unless it's wonderfully perfect we don't acknowledge the day in itself. Carpe Diem, "Cease the Day"... Whether there is perfect weather or it is filled with sadness... it is a day that God has blessed us. 

God has blessed me recently, with more than just perseverance... but strength, hope, joy, love, self-control, patience.... He has given me family, and is placing all these people around me to cling to... People who I can share my passion for God with. People who form this barrier around my heart, this bandaid around my wounds... God gave me this life, I haven't earned it, nor will I ever deserve it. Yet somehow, I fight to trust a perfect God. I battle with my head and my heart about which is the right path, and I make decisions without acknowledging him. 

Psalms 34:18 reads, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." This idea of God being close to the brokenhearted... it pulls at my heart. Shouldn't our hearts be broken on a daily basis for God? This life shouldn't be easy, our days shouldn't be insignificant... it should be a battle, our hearts should break on a daily basis so God can mold us. 

In closing, I leave with a song. Songs are expressions of feelings, songs are words from our hearts... worship songs are words of our heart singing to the King of all people. 

We are here, we are now. We are God's people, step up to a selfless faith. Fall to your knees and let God break you. 




1 comment: