Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pure Contentment

Nathaniel Hawthorne once wrote, "Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." For the longest time, I searched for happiness in temporary beings, whether it be through people or objects on this earth, it wasn't satisfying. There is worldly happiness, and happiness brought by God... two completely different forms. Although the happiness of this world can be deceiving and thought to have been of God, true happiness from the source is beyond compare.

As I lay in bed tonight, I read from Philippians 4:11-12, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." As I take a step back and really pay close attention to the words of this verse, as I say aloud "whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Isn't that what God wants? We are either hungry for more of his love or living in plenty. With Gods love, we are able to be content in a broken world. As it states in Ecclesiastes, "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad consider: God has made the one as well as the other."

He is the source of it all: love, hope, faith, grace...happiness. I do not want worldly versions of these things, they will never satisfy me without God. When I gave my life back to God, he gave me happiness... he allowed me to be content, he gave me hope. Faith, Hope, and Love... these cannot exist without each other. Everything here on earth that makes me happy, is just an overfilling of my cup. God empties me every day to fill me up with his grace.

When I chased happiness, I found that it was always out of reach...sometimes, even just inches away. But when I came to my knees to God, he placed it right in my hands.

He is unfathomable and unexplainable... a God who saves <3

No comments:

Post a Comment